People First of California is a true grass root, organization which practices self reliance from the start.
People First groups come in all shapes and sizes. There is no one size fits all for organizing a local chapter. Every chapter is unique and how the group is organized depends on its members.
In order to be approved as a People First Chapter, you first must meet the following requirements:
- The title of People First must be in the name of your chapter
- You must run your chapter using the five guiding principles:
- Run BY and For people with Developmental Disabilities
- Know you rights and responsibilities
- Speak up for yourself
- Solve problems and make decisions for yourself
- Contribute to your community
- In order to start your People First chapter you must elect 4 officers to run your meeting.
- Vice President
- Sergeant-at-arms (optional)